Re: TODO questions

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO questions
Date: 2005-08-25 12:27:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> So, the low-tech solution to these gripes seems to be:
> * uncomment all the entries in postgresql.conf
> * add comments to flag the values that can't be changed by SIGHUP
>
> Can we agree on taking these measures?

Doesn't this still mean that a SIGHUP may give you a different
configuration to a full restart, even if you don't touch any of the
values that can't be changed via SIGHUP?

Perhaps we could stick with the current commented-out-defaults scheme if
SIGHUP reset all settings to their compiled-in defaults before rereading
the config file, i.e. the same logic as normal startup would do (except
for those cases where we can't change a setting at runtime).

-O