Re: Fwd: Indexes (Disk space)

From: Aldor <an(at)mediaroot(dot)de>
To: jose fuenmayor <jafn82(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Fwd: Indexes (Disk space)
Date: 2005-08-23 19:39:34
Lists: pgsql-admin

select * from pg_class;

or

select relname, relpages from pg_class where relname = '[index-name]';

the pages give you the information about the space the index uses, a
page has 8kb.

[...]Every table and index is stored as an array of pages of a fixed
size (usually 8Kb, although a different page size can be selected when
compiling the server). In a table, all the pages are logically
equivalent, so a particular item (row) can be stored in any page. In
indexes, the first page is generally reserved as a metapage holding
control information, and there may be different types of pages within
the index, depending on the index access method. [...]

Source-URL:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/storage-page-layout.html