Re: 8.1 release notes

From: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.1 release notes
Date: 2005-08-23 09:07:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I have compiled the 8.1 release notes and converted them to SGML at:
>
> http://candle.pha.pa.us/main/writings/pgsql/sgml/release.html#RELEASE-8-1
>
> I still need to add markup and cleanup, but it is good enough for
> review and for beta1. I will work on it more tomorrow.

I think this is an understatement and does not really say what was done:
Replace pg_shadow and pg_group by new role-capable catalogs pg_authid
and pg_auth_members.

I would include something like "Implement SQL-compliant ROLE support...".

I believe "Make default_with_oids default to false" and "Change
add_missing_from to 'false'" should be mentioned in the "Migration" section.
This section should say "Migration to version 8.1" instead of "Migration
to version 8.0".

"This caused CREATE DATABASE to sometimes fail because a new database
can not be created if anyone else is in the template database."
Shouldn't this read:
"This caused CREATE DATABASE to sometimes fail because a new database
could not be created if anyone else was in the template database."

"With this change, the default connection database is now 'postgres',
meaning is is much less likely someone will be using template1 during
CREATE DATABASE."
... meaning it is much less likely ...

There are some items that are appended to the last one. E.g. "Fix
interval division and multiplication (Bruce)"
Other times, the additional comments have their own bullet.

These I don't really understand:
- Improve rtree index capabilities and performance (Neil)
- Replace rtree index code with code from /contrib/rtree_gist (Tom)

So first Neil improved the performance for rtree, then rtree was
replaced with rtree_gist? So Neil's optimizations are gone?

What file should I send patches against next time? ;-)

Best Regards,
Michael Paesold