Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 and Ipv6

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Petr Jelinek <pjmodos(at)seznam(dot)cz>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, voss(at)arnet(dot)com(dot)br, Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 and Ipv6
Date: 2005-08-21 20:20:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:

>Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> writes:
>

>>>I am bit worried about those HAVE_IPV6 ifdefs - they will prolly have
>>>to be modified to C code under windows
>>>

>>Now I consider it you might be right. Here's a list of those places:
>>[lots]
>>

>You should not have to touch the HAVE_IPV6 code --- if you think you
>do, you're misunderstanding the problem. The IPV6 code was designed
>to work even if the local kernel does not understand IPV6 (of course
>you don't actually get any IPV6 connectivity, but nothing breaks).
>It should be possible to handle Windows the same way.

Ok, looked at these more closely.

The one place that very slightly bothers me is the ::1 line in
pg_hba.conf. The fact that it comes last in the default config is its
saving grace - it won't ever be reached by a passing connection. I think
at least, though, we should put a warning comment line in front of it,
to the effect that if they see 'LOG: invalid IP address "::1"' in the
log or a connection message like 'FATAL: missing or erroneous
pg_hba.conf file' they probably need to comment the line out.

I agree that most of the others don't matter (most are there just for
case branches for AF_INET6).

>>Can we even get this done for 8.1, or is it too late?
>>

>Considering that this is a new feature that we didn't have in 8.0,
>anything more than a very localized tweak is not going to be accepted
>for 8.1.

Apart from pg_hba.conf.sample (if you agree with the above), it looks
like just port/getaddrinfo.c will need tweaking.

cheers

andrew