Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 and Ipv6

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Petr Jelinek <pjmodos(at)seznam(dot)cz>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, voss(at)arnet(dot)com(dot)br, Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.0.3 and Ipv6
Date: 2005-08-21 14:26:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

[adding -hackers to discussion]

[getaddrinfo and friends are broken on some versions of windows]

Petr Jelinek wrote:

> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>

>> Yep. I don't think we have much choice. The upside is that we can
>> let the configure test stay as is and not worry about it further.
>> Just put some ifdef''d code in src/port/getaddrinfo.c. Chuck McDevitt
>> kindly said he will try next week to produce a patch.
>>

> I am glad Chuck took it because I wouldn't be able to do it in
> reasonable time due to some probles in my real life.
>
> I am bit worried about those HAVE_IPV6 ifdefs - they will prolly have
> to be modified to C code under windows

Now I consider it you might be right. Here's a list of those places:

[andrew(at)alphonso src]$ grep -rl HAVE_IP .
./include/pg_config.h.in
./include/libpq/ip.h
./include/pg_config.h
./bin/initdb/initdb.c
./Makefile.global.in
./backend/libpq/pqcomm.c
./backend/libpq/ip.c
./backend/libpq/hba.c
./backend/utils/adt/pgstatfuncs.c
./backend/utils/adt/network.c
./Makefile.global
./interfaces/libpq/ip.c
./port/getaddrinfo.c

Can we even get this done for 8.1, or is it too late? If it's too late
we need to document heavily that we do not (fully) support IPv6 on
Windows yet.

Can someone please try running a build from CVS tip made on a modern box
(W2k3 or XP >= SP1 I believe) on a non-modern box (e.g. W2k) and see if
anything blows up? If it does then we either have to finish this work
now or revert the config file changes, I think.

cheers

andrew