Re: extremly low memory usage

From: John A Meinel <john(at)arbash-meinel(dot)com>
To: Ron <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>
Cc: Jeremiah Jahn <jeremiah(at)cs(dot)earlham(dot)edu>, postgres performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: extremly low memory usage
Date: 2005-08-21 02:32:04
Lists: pgsql-performance

Ron wrote:
> At 02:53 PM 8/20/2005, Jeremiah Jahn wrote:

>> <snip>

>> would
>> going to
>> ext3

Well, since you can get a read of the RAID at 150MB/s, that means that
it is actual I/O speed. It may not be cached in RAM. Perhaps you could
try the same test, only using say 1G, which should be cached.

>> > I don't think 150MB/s is out of the realm for a 14 drive array.
>> > How fast is time dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=8192 count=1000000
>> >
>> time dd if=/dev/zero of=testfile bs=8192 count=1000000
>> 1000000+0 records in
>> 1000000+0 records out
>>
>> real 1m24.248s
>> user 0m0.381s
>> sys 0m33.028s
>>

>> > (That should create a 8GB file, which is too big to cache everything)
>> > And then how fast is:
>> > time dd if=testfile of=/dev/null bs=8192 count=1000000
>>
>> time dd if=testfile of=/dev/null bs=8192 count=1000000
>> 1000000+0 records in
>> 1000000+0 records out
>>
>> real 0m54.139s
>> user 0m0.326s
>> sys 0m8.916s
>>

>> and on a second run:
>>
>> real 0m55.667s
>> user 0m0.341s
>> sys 0m9.013s
>>

>> > That should give you a semi-decent way of measuring how fast the RAID
>> > system is, since it should be too big to cache in ram.
>>
>> about 150MB/Sec. Is there no better way to make this go faster...?

I'm actually curious about PCI bus saturation at this point. Old 32-bit
33MHz pci could only push 1Gbit = 100MB/s. Now, I'm guessing that this
is a higher performance system. But I'm really surprised that your write
speed is that close to your read speed. (100MB/s write, 150MB/s read).

> Assuming these are U320 15Krpm 147GB HDs, a RAID 10 array of 14 of them
> doing raw sequential IO like this should be capable of at
> ~7*75MB/s= 525MB/s using Seagate Cheetah 15K.4's, ~7*79MB/s= 553MB/s
> if using Fujitsu MAU's, and ~7*86MB/s= 602MB/s if using Maxtor Atlas 15K
> II's to devices external to the RAID array.

I know I thought these were SATA drives, over 2 controllers. I could be
completely wrong, though.

> _IF_ the controller setup is high powered enough to keep that kind of IO
> rate up. This will require a controller or controllers providing dual
> channel U320 bandwidth externally and quad channel U320 bandwidth
> internally. IOW, it needs a controller or controllers talking 64b
> 133MHz PCI-X, reasonably fast DSP/CPU units, and probably a decent sized
> IO buffer as well.
>
> AFAICT, the Dell PERC4 controllers use various flavors of the LSI Logic
> MegaRAID controllers. What I don't know is which exact one yours is,
> nor do I know if it (or any of the MegaRAID controllers) are high
> powered enough.
>
> Talk to your HW supplier to make sure you have controllers adequate to
> your HD's.
>
> ...and yes, your average access time will be in the 5.5ms - 6ms range
> when doing a physical seek.
> Even with RAID, you want to minimize seeks and maximize sequential IO
> when accessing them.
> Best to not go to HD at all ;-)

Well, certainly, if you can get more into RAM, you're always better off.
For writing, a battery-backed write cache, and for reading lots of
system RAM.

> Hope this helps,
> Ron Peacetree

John