statically linked pg_dump

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: statically linked pg_dump
Date: 2005-08-20 18:17:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

ISTR this question coming up before, but I couldn't find an answer. Is
there a reason we don't build versions of pg_dump and pg_dumpall that
are statically linked against libpq so they can be run uninstalled as
part of a migration process? I should have thought that this would be
extremely easy - just a few Makefile changes. Then the recommended
procedure could go 1. build. 2 dump using static pg_dump/pg_dumpall. 3
stop old server. 4 move old installation aside. 5. install new build. 6
initdb. 7 restore.

cheers

andrew