Re: Connecting to a remote database

From: Tino Wildenhain <tino(at)wildenhain(dot)de>
To: Nigel Horne <njh(at)bandsman(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting to a remote database
Date: 2005-08-18 13:56:41
Lists: pgadmin-support

Nigel Horne schrieb:
> When I connect to a remote database I get this message:
>
> "An error has occured:
>
> Error connecting to the server: FATAL: Missing or erroneous ph_hba.conf
> file, see postmaster log for details."
>
> Naturally I have something wrong, this is NOT a bug report for
> that, rather it is a plea (RFE) for a more informative message.
>
> This message falls down in a number of ways:
>
> 1) Is it missing or is it erroneous? Why doesn't pgadmin know the
> difference?

Ah well, the message comes from the server, so guess what
pgadmin can really know about it :-)

> 2) Is the file on the local system or remote system?

postmaster is the server. So look there (or ask your DBA)

> 3) Where is the ph_hba.conf file?

Again, ask your sysadmin of the server. If you set up yourself,
you would have read the documenation, right? ;)) *hint*

> 4) What is erroneous about it?

It told you to read the logfile on the server to find out :)

> 5) Where is the postmaster log file, on which machine, and what details
> am I looking for?

See above :-)

> 6) Why doesn't this box allow me to view the log file?

Because you cant connect? And there is no fileaccess to joe
average anyway ;)

> 7) Last and least: occurred has two 'r's ;-)

Try to mess up your /etc/passwd on a unix box
and then connect via ssh. Compare the messages
you get and what to do :-)