Re: pthread stack on FreeBSD WAS: HEAD doesn't cope with

From: "Johnny C(dot) Lam" <jlam(at)NetBSD(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pthread stack on FreeBSD WAS: HEAD doesn't cope with
Date: 2005-08-17 23:14:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> "Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com> writes:
>>
>>Damn, I'm sorry, I totally mis-interpreted this. Turns out the failures
>>are due to a perl problem.
>

> Yeah, but the nonpic change caused that.
>
> Can anyone tell me which machine types (host_cpu values) FreeBSD does
> support non-PIC code in shlibs for? Is it only x86, and if so exactly
> what's the host_cpu setting? We need to throw a conditional into
> Makefile.freebsd.

Judging from the config.guess script that the PostgreSQL distribution
uses, the host_cpu value should be "x86_64".

I think this mixing of non-relocatable and relocatable code is a problem
that exists for all amd64 machines, regardless of the operating system.
When Googling for the linker error message, I've seen it crop up for
users running NetBSD, FreeBSD and Linux. I think you'll want to add the
same conditional setting of allow_nonpic_in_shlib in
src/makefiles/Makefile.linux based on the host_cpu value.

Cheers,

-- Johnny Lam <jlam(at)NetBSD(dot)org>