Re: Patch proposal: make use of regular expressions for the username in pg_hba.conf

From: Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>
To: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bdrouvot(at)amazon(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch proposal: make use of regular expressions for the username in pg_hba.conf
Date: 2022-09-09 23:21:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 8/19/22 01:12, Drouvot, Bertrand wrote:
> + wstr = palloc((strlen(tok->string + 1) + 1) * sizeof(pg_wchar));
> + wlen = pg_mb2wchar_with_len(tok->string + 1,
> + wstr, strlen(tok->string + 1));

The (tok->string + 1) construction comes up often enough that I think it
should be put in a `regex` variable or similar. That would help my eyes
with the (strlen(tok->string + 1) + 1) construction, especially.

I noticed that for pg_ident, we precompile the regexes per-line and
reuse those in child processes. Whereas here we're compiling, using, and
then discarding the regex for each check. I think the example set by the
pg_ident code is probably the one to follow, unless you have a good
reason not to.

> +# Testing with regular expression for username
> +reset_pg_hba($node, '/^.*md.*$', 'password');
> +test_role($node, 'md5_role', 'password from pgpass and regular expression for username', 0);
> +

IMO the coverage for this patch needs to be filled out. Negative test
cases are more important than positive ones for security-related code.

Other than that, and Tom's note on potentially expanding this to other
areas, I think this is a pretty straightforward patch.

Thanks,
--Jacob