Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Thoughs after discussions at OSCON
Date: 2005-08-09 04:50:22
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

>It seems to me that APress is a plausible publisher to "bias towards;"
>the last couple of books that I have found *very* interesting were
>published by them.

As an Oreilly author and I might get in trouble for this but I would
suggest someone besides Oreilly as well.
They made me change our license on Pratical PostgreSQL for the second
edition so that it won't
be viewable for free on the web anymore.

From a business perspective it makes sense because they want the Safari
stuff they are doing to be more profitable
but still...

>They have published some things O'Reilly wouldn't (on zsh, Common
>Lisp), in areas that actually have gotten them sales (as in "having to
>do second printings").

Well don't let that fool you though. That could mean they bothered to
sell 5k+ books. Pratical
PostgreSQL's first run was only 5k we had to go to second printing the
first month it was out.

5k copies sold will NOT make up the money lost in the development of the
book. You need
at least 10-15k copies sold for that.

>Lisp people got in something of a snit because O'Reilly had a
>published policy that they wouldn't take such books. The *wise* move
>was and is to take would-be book offerings elsewhere.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake