Re: Can't connect to the postgresql server

From: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: Chris Guo <cguo(at)at-sd(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can't connect to the postgresql server
Date: 2005-07-30 08:35:53
Lists: pgadmin-support

Chris Guo wrote:
> Dear all,
>

> I just installed postgresql 0.8.3 on the fedora core linux 3, I also
> installed pgadmin 1.0.2 in my computer. But I am having trouble connecting
> postgresql by using pgadmin, it shows me the error message" An error
> occurred: Error connecting to the server: could connect to server:
> Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host
> "192.168.3.118" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?"
>
> I am pretty sure that the postgresql server is running, but I figured it's
> because the command I use to run the postgresql serve is not quite right and
> the port 5432 is not open to listen to the request since I didn't find port
> 5432 after using namp to check the open port on the linux server.

Hi Chris,

please make sure that you have "tcpip_socket = true" in the
postgresql.conf file (located in /etc/postgresql on my system).
After that tune the parameters in the pg_hba.conf file located in the
same directory as postgresql.conf. Then restart your PostgreSQL server
and everything should be ok.
In the next release of pgAdmin it should be possible to connect directly
to the local socket without needing to configure TCP/IP listening on
server side.

Regards,
Raphaël