Select where id in (LARGE LIST) ?

From: Jasper Potts <jasper(at)jasperpotts(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Select where id in (LARGE LIST) ?
Date: 2005-07-29 15:30:24
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I am working on a gui application which has a list of ids of selected
items. To perform an operation on the selected items I do a
"select/update .. where id in(...)". There seems to be a limit of
100-200 items in the list. Is there a way of doing this with large
lists, maybe 10,000, 100,000 long?

The best solution I have so far is to create a selection table and write
the select out to that and perform a join but the 100,000 inserts are slow.

The ids are int8(long), so not talking large amounts of data, couple Mb
at most. Database and client running on same machine over localhost.

Many Thanks

Jasper