Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL

From: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>
To: Chris Travers <chris(at)travelamericas(dot)com>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-07-26 20:56:11
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Chris Travers wrote:
> The problem with enums is that although they are handy they are never
> elegant re: database design. Addign enum tables is the only way yo
> maintain sanity in this eent that I can think of.

I mostly agree, but I don't think we can dismiss enum completely. After
all, boolean is pretty much enum(false,true), and nobody would advocate
removing that type.

We could probably think of a few other cases, but it's often used
inappropriately. Just the fact that we're talking about it now surprises
me; I had no idea that many people actually used enum. The thought of
using it never crossed my mind in a real situation.

Regards,
Jeff Davis