Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL

From: Jeff Davis <jdavis-pgsql(at)empires(dot)org>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Enticing interns to PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-07-26 01:14:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Jim C. Nasby wrote:

> These are good ideas, but I'd be a bit careful about promoting
> PostgreSQL too heavily. I think it's far more important to enlighten
> people about why MySQL (or any other database that does the things they
> do) is unsound.

If I see the opportunity I'll take it. However, as Josh pointed out,
MySQL is an unlikely candidate in a university database course. I don't
expect that to even come up.

Usually it's the business/hobbyist types that we have to educate about
the problems with MySQL. Academics are probably already aware of the
pitfalls of MySQL or products like it, and are more likely to appreciate
PostgreSQL's strong points.

Regards,
Jeff Davis