Re: installing postgresql on W2K; starting postmaster fails

From: s0lao(at)netscape(dot)net (S(dot) L(dot))
To: schoepp(at)nextra(dot)at (Friederike Sch öpp), pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: installing postgresql on W2K; starting postmaster fails
Date: 2002-10-29 08:05:55
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

Friederike Schöpp <schoepp(at)nextra(dot)at> wrote:

[...]
>But starting postmaster e.g. with (postermaster D /test_data i) I get
>The following error:
[...]
>FATAL: could not set permissions on /tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432: Permission denied
>/bin/postmaster: cannot create UNIX stream port
>
>Of course I checked the permission for the /tmp directory but could not
>Find anything obverse. I also could generate a simple text file using
>Vim in the tmp directory. What permission does postmaster want??
[...]

Probably you cannot actually "chmod" your filesystem permissions from cygwin. Because you either have your w2k installed on a FATXXX partition, or you haven't set ntsec in CYGWIN system variable.

In first case you should set ntea in your CYGWIN system variable, and restart your system (but consult the cygwin faq at www.cygwin.com regarding ntea).

In the second case the same applies to setting ntsec in your CYGWIN variable.

SLao