Re: Problems with ODBC and ASP .NET 2.0

From: Marko Ristola <Marko(dot)Ristola(at)kolumbus(dot)fi>
To: Joel Fradkin <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Cc: 'Greg Campbell' <greg(dot)campbell(at)us(dot)michelin(dot)com>, 'C Funky' <funkapotomus(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with ODBC and ASP .NET 2.0
Date: 2005-07-13 10:21:32
Lists: pgsql-odbc

About ASP .NET, npgsql and C#

So, because you use now npgsql, the case is a bit different:
I checked the npgsql documentation.

You can overcome the memory hogging problem at least
with the refcursor style (see npgsql docs):
1. create a function for cursor creation.
2. read the results one row at a time.

psqlodbc is much faster with the "fetch cursor" implementation,
because it fetches for example 1000 rows (selectable) from the
Linux PostgreSQL server with one internal fetch.

npgsql: ask one row from PostgreSQL server. process it.
Ask the next row from PostgreSQL server.

psqlodbc: ask 1000 rows from PostgreSQL server. process them.
ask 1000 more. ...

So both work the same way, but the network latency affects with
npgsql once per row, and with psqlodbc once per 1000 rows.
psqlodbc method is a lot faster, because of that.
With my home measurement, with C coding,
the slowdown because of network latency
with psqlodbc in 10 Mbit WLAN is about 10%.
Please measure it yourself, when facts needed.

"fetch cursor" under psqlodbc is invisible to the ODBC client.
Just configure, and it will be used.

(psqlodbc cursor using method is not optimal for
"read everything", as I have told in the previous
message about PostgreSQL backend planner
assumptions based on cursor usage).

Better to ask from the npgsql people about the crashing.
They might have lots of knoledge about the area.

I have never experimented with npgsql. Memory hogging
problematics affects it also, because it runs under a 32 bit machine.
Under a virtual machine, the memory problems are even
more acute than in C or C++. There are good enough
memory saving algorithms, at least in algorithm books.

Marko Ristola