Re: utf-8 and cultural sensitive sorting

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: sknipe(at)tucows(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: utf-8 and cultural sensitive sorting
Date: 2005-07-12 15:10:03
Lists: pgsql-general

sknipe(at)tucows(dot)com wrote:
> Our product will be storing its character data in utf-8 format (unicode
> encoding).
>
> What is the best way to achive cultural sensitive sorting using the
> utf-8 data?

See below.

> Is it possible have the locale apply to a connection?

A locale applies to a whole database cluster. That's one locale only.

> If so, is the cultural sorting support mature in PostgreSQL?
>
> What type of performance can be expected as compared with the normal c
> locale sorting?

Maturity and performance depend upon the underlying libraries, which
depend upon your O.S. - I recommend testing.

There has been discussion of how to support mixed locales, possibly even
within the same column but I don't know whether anyone is working on
this at the present time. The mailing list archives will contain plenty
of discussion on this.

Does that help?
--
Richard Huxton