Re: automating backup ?

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Zlatko Matic <zlatko(dot)matic1(at)sb(dot)t-com(dot)hr>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: automating backup ?
Date: 2005-06-28 23:56:21
Lists: pgsql-general

Zlatko Matic schrieb:

> Now I have pgpass.conf file in D:\Documents and
> Settings\Zlatko\Application Data\postgresql
> content of pgpass.conf is:
> localhost:*:MONITORINGZ:postgres:tralalala
>
> content of backup_script.bat is:
> cd D:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.0\bin
> pg_dumpall >D:\MONITORINGZ_DUMPALL -U postgres
>
> still prompts for password...What is wrong ?

Perhaps its like this.
pg_dumpall wants to dump the whole database-cluster (every database in
your server) that is not only "MONITORINGZ" but the two templates, too.
So pg_dumpall doesn't ask you for the password to your own database but
2 times for the pw for the 2 template DBs.

In pgpass.conf write * instead of MONITORINGZ or copy the line for
template0 and template1.
Or don't use pg_dumpall and use pg_dump instead just for MONITORINGZ.

Maybe it's somerthing else ... one never knows with those computers ... ;)