Re: R: How to move a DB from one server to

From: John A Meinel <john(at)arbash-meinel(dot)com>
To: "Federico Simonetti (Etheye)" <flame(at)etheye(dot)com>
Cc: 'Tom Lane' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: R: How to move a DB from one server to
Date: 2005-06-23 06:35:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Federico Simonetti (Etheye) wrote:

>Thank you Tom.
>
>I see. But what if the need is different? Say I have four databases on my
>central server and I need to copy *only one* of them to another server.
>
>Same server version and platform: 8.0.3 on Windows.
>
>I can't believe there's no easy way to do this. PostgreSQL appears to be an
>extremely good RDBMS but if it lacks this feature it can't fit our needs
>and, I guess, there are many other people in the same situation.
>
>I've found the same question in many forums, m-lists and web sites. Never
>found a concrete answer up till now. Is this in the development plans? I
>really do believe if PostgreSQL wants to be an alternative to SQLServer,
>Oracle or even mySQL, an easy copy/move/replicate feature is a must. You
>agree?
>
>Of course we could use SQL (CREATE DATABASE, CREATE TABLE, INSERT INTO....)
>but this would take years on large databases, while a rough "copy this
>folder to the new server" would take just a few seconds.
>
>Has anybody faced/solved this issue?
>
>Thank you in advance,
>
>Federico Simonetti

pg_dumpall doesn't do the right thing for you?
Copy the entire directory, and then issue the commands "DROP DATABASE
blah" which you don't want on the new machine?

Use Slony (http://slony.info) to get live replication/load balancing
instead.

Or pgcluster (don't have a link offhand) to allow multi-master load
balancing.

John
=:->