Re: LGPL

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: John Hansen <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LGPL
Date: 2005-06-15 02:34:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

John Hansen wrote:

>>Agreed.
>>
>>With libreadline, we are not taking their code or
>>distributing it, but merely linking to it if it exists. Now,
>>some say that is enough to make us GPL, but many don't agree
>>with that interpretation.
>>

>Right,. That's actually exactly what I meant: using GPL/LGPL libraries
>by linking to them.

Don't confuse these two. LGPL contains an explicit permission to link to
an unmodified library without importing the GPL conditions into your
code. GPL does not. That's why there was all the fuss when MySQL changed
the licence on their libraries from LGPL to GPL (don't even get me
started about the ethics of applying a more restrictive license to your
work after you've been distributing it for years).

cheers

andrew