Gist Recovery testing

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Gist Recovery testing
Date: 2005-06-10 16:24:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ok, I already realized WAL in GiST and tested with online backup. It works.
Now I need test it on recovery after crash (power loss etc) and there is a
problem in GiST with incompleted inserts, I hope, I resolved it, but this
problem, I think, has the same nature as incompleted splits in btree code. For
solving, btree xlog code uses stack of incompleted splits and if they leaves
incompleted, btree_xlog_cleanup function completes them. I make use similar
idea, but I can't reproduce situation when xlog_cleanup makes some useful work
except just looks at void stack. So question: how is it possible to reproduce
desired behaviour?

I tried to kill(getpid(), SIGKILL) in a middle of insertion (inside gist.c), but
postgres doesn't try ro restore aborted transaction....

Thank you.
WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/