Re: Request for support for GIST enhancements

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request for support for GIST enhancements
Date: 2005-06-08 02:50:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> We had a lot of interest in sponsoring this before, can we get support
> up again? How do we fundraise for this feature? Can we set up some
> sort of paypal thing on postgresql.org? I for one am willing to donate
> some of the proceeds of some current paid phpPgAdmin work (assuming the
> other devs don't mind :) )

There is a couple of ways to do it. Paypal IMHO is not the way. One
way would be to set up an escrow that was tied to specific milestones.
Another would be to have an entity actually be the distribution point.

That entity can be a corporation such as Command Prompt or even just a
trust through an attorney.

However it is good to have some level of entity do it because if you get
commercial backing the companies can right off the money as outside
services and actually receive an invoice etc...

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Chris
>
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
>> I have CC'ed this over to advocacy in hopes that someone will be able to
>> get support for this work. Please email Oleg if you can financially
>> assist.

>> Oleg Bartunov wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I want to inform that we began to work on concurrency and recovery
>>> support in GiST on our's own account and hope to be ready before 8.1
>>> code freeze. There was some noise about possible sponsoring of our work,
>>> but we didn't get any offering yet, so we're looking for sponsorhip !
>>>
>>> We recognize that current GiST doesn't conform to enterprize level and
>>> our people starting experience difficulties using our extensions in
>>> production environment. That's why we decided to meet the wishes of
>>> GiST users not waiting real sponsorship.
>>>
>>> Our plan is to implement recovery first because we'll use LSN as NSN
>>> (node sequence number) needed for concurrency.
>>>
>>> Fpr details see "Concurrency and Recovery in Generalized Search
>>> Trees" by M. Kornacker, C.Mohan, J. Hellerstein.
>>>

>>> Regards,
>>> Oleg

--
Your PostgreSQL solutions provider, Command Prompt, Inc.
24x7 support - 1.800.492.2240, programming, and consulting