Re: executing OS programs from pg

From: Hans-Jürgen Schönig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: Gevik babakhani <gevik(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: executing OS programs from pg
Date: 2005-06-04 08:35:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Gevik babakhani wrote:
> Dear people,
>

> Does anyone know how to execute an OS command from pgsql. I would like
> to create a trigger that op on firing would run/execute an external program.
>
> Does such functionality exist or do I have to write my own trigger
> function in C.
>

> Reagrds,
>
> Gevik.

Gevik,

Do something like that ...

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION xclock() RETURNS int4 AS '
system("xclock");
return 1;
' LANGUAGE 'plperlu';

This should be fairly easy to implement but recall - you cannot rollback
xclock ;).

best regards,

hans

--
Cybertec Geschwinde u Schoenig
Schoengrabern 134, A-2020 Hollabrunn, Austria