Re: How to avoid database bloat

From: "Matthew T(dot) O'Connor" <matthew(at)zeut(dot)net>
To: Mindaugas Riauba <mind(at)bi(dot)lt>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to avoid database bloat
Date: 2005-06-02 16:10:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

Mindaugas Riauba wrote:

>>AFAICT the vacuum is doing what it is supposed to, and the problem has
>>to be just that it's not being done often enough. Which suggests either
>>an autovacuum bug or your autovacuum settings aren't aggressive enough.
>>

> -D -d 1 -v 1000 -V 0.5 -a 1000 -A 0.1 -s 10
>
> That is autovacuum settings. Should be aggressive enough I think?

Might e aggressive enough, but might not. I have seen some people run
-V 0.1. Also you probably don't need -A that low. This could an issue
where analyze results in an inaccurate reltuples value which is
preventing autovacuum from doing it's job. Could you please run it with
-d 2 and show us the relevant log output.

>>Which PG version is this exactly? Some of the earlier autovacuum
>>releases do have known bugs, so it'd be worth your while to update
>>if you're not on the latest point release of your series.
>>

> 8.0.3

That should be fine.