updating my pg-drivers crashed my system...

From: Timo Roessner <timo(dot)roessner(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: updating my pg-drivers crashed my system...
Date: 2005-05-28 15:18:34
Lists: pgsql-novice

hi everybody,

some minutes ago i installed DBD::Pg 1.41, i.e. the postgressql-driver
to access your postgressql-database via perl-scripts

i already had installed DBD::Pg 1.40, postgressql-server 8 (running
under fedora 3), and everything was working fine, i could access the
database via perl, do inserts updates etc.

the reason why i installed Pg-version 1.41 was that Pg-version 1.40
seems to have a bug when you try to use prepared-statements.

anyway, the installation of the Pg-driver was fine, but now nothing
works anymore

i can start the postmaster-process via shell, but when i try to access
the database with my perl-scripts i get the following error:

Code:

/usr/bin/perl: symbol lookup error:
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBD/Pg/Pg.so:
undefined symbol: PQserverVersion

i got a similar errror before when i was trying to use
prepared-statements, but now even the things that had been working fine
before the new installation (e.g. simple insert-queries using "do") wont run

if if try to access the database via webmin, i get the error:

Code:

select version() : Unknown DBI error

i have no clues or ideas what to do about this problem, should i have
removed the old driver 1.40 before installing the new?
what can i do to solve this?

any help would be really appreciated.......