Re: ERROR: relation "default_cols" does not exist

From: "David Sadler" <david(at)dicapp(dot)com>
To: "John DeSoi" <desoi(at)pgedit(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ERROR: relation "default_cols" does not exist
Date: 2005-05-28 18:15:20
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello, John,

Thanks for your help.

dss: How do I logon directly to the test db using psql.exe without modifying
its target path?

js: One option is to navigate to the postgresql bin directory and then enter
the psql command. Another is to add the bin directory to your PATH variable.

John, is the psql.exe like sql*plus in oracle? Am I logging on to the
server when it presents the password prompt, and then from there, I connect
to whatever db I specify?

dss: Why am I not able to select from the test db table I created? Instead,
I get... ERROR: relation "default_cols" does not exist?

js: Connect via psql and enter the command \dt to see a list of tables in
the database. If it does not answer your question, show the output with the
error and ask again.

dss: Results of \dt against testdb "gov"...

<<<
List of relations
Schema = public
name = DEFAULT_COLS
type = table
owner = postgres
(1 row)

dss: Result of select * from default_cols;

<<<
ERROR: relation "default_cols" does not exist

dss: Upon launching psql to gov shortcut, this warning is presented...

<<<
Warning: Console code page (437) differs from Window code page (1252) 8-bit
characters may not work correctly. See psql reference page "Notes for
Windows users" for details.

"Notes for Windows users" was not found in the installed doc.
I did find it in the more robust doc here.
"comprehensive manual"
http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/pdf/8.0/postgresql-8.0-US.pdf

dss: It reads...

<<<
Notes for Windows users

psql is built as a "console application". Since the Windows console windows
use a different encoding than the rest of the system, you must take special
care when using 8-bit characters within psql. If psql detects a problematic
console code page, it will warn you at startup. To change the console code
page, two things are necessary:

Set the code page by entering cmd.exe /c chcp 1252. (1252 is a code page
that is appropriate for German; replace it with your value.) If you are
using Cygwin, you can put this command in /etc/profile.

Set the console font to "Lucida Console", because the raster font does not
work with the ANSI code page.

dss: I'm looking for cmd.exe /c chcp [code] for English.

Any thoughts on the "relation "default_cols" does not exist error now?

Thanks,
David Sadler

ref:

(1)