Re: snapshot too old issues, first around wraparound and then more.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: snapshot too old issues, first around wraparound and then more.
Date: 2021-06-15 18:01:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2021 at 9:51 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> So, it's well over a year later, and so far as I can see exactly
>> nothing has been done about snapshot_too_old's problems.

> I propose that the revert question be explicitly timeboxed. If the
> issues haven't been fixed by some date, then "snapshot too old"
> automatically gets reverted without further discussion. This gives
> qualified hackers the opportunity to save the feature if they feel
> strongly about it, and are actually willing to take responsibility for
> its ongoing maintenance.

The goal I have in mind is for snapshot_too_old to be fixed or gone
in v15. I don't feel a need to force the issue sooner than that, so
there's plenty of time for someone to step up, if anyone wishes to.

I imagine that we should just ignore the question of whether anything
can be done for it in the back branches. Given the problems
identified upthread, fixing it in a non-back-patchable way would be
challenging enough.