Re: solaris 10 vs Linux Debian on SUN Fire v40z

From: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: solaris 10 vs Linux Debian on SUN Fire v40z
Date: 2005-05-27 16:55:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Both are good, I guess it depends what kind of expertise you have around
or are willing to pay for.

For me I would pick Linux because it is easier to install and maintain,
and there is much more articles etc on the web.
For a bullet proof Linux Install you could use CentOS which is a clone
of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 or for really good performance you could
also use Gentoo, I actually run all my PG servers on Gentoo and it is
great, very easy to update and maintain.

You could also use FreeBSD, but I am not sure how well it would work
with a 4 way system.