Re: Postgres in government

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Postgres in government
Date: 2005-05-19 19:46:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

Josh Berkus wrote:
> Three large Federal agencies I'm not allowed to mention :-(

I'm curious why they can't be mentioned? A NDA regarding the
technologies used? Classified projects?

It seems in many cases even relatively security conscious
agencies don't mind vendors announcing their use of open
source projects. IBM's Linux/DB2 wins in DHS information
sharing networks, and Oracle's Linux/Oracle win on the
Department of Homeland Security's own web site come to mind.

I'm not doubting you. I know one similar case of a
government agency using postgresql, but in this case
the reason I can't mentioned it is a matter of one
vendor's partnership agreement with another large
proprietary database vendor. I'm just curious if
the matter was a legal issue with the government
or if it was a contractual issue with a vendor.