Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Learning curves and such (was Re: pgFoundry)
Date: 2005-05-17 21:36:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Brendan Jurd wrote:

>In the interests of putting my money where my mouth is, I would be
>willing to enlist in the housekeeping effort for this hypothetical new
>system.

It's a nice offer, but honestly, my experience in the commercial world
as well as in FOSS tells me that a bug tracking system would need loving
care from somebody with years of experience in the postgres development
community.

When I was managing this stuff in a commercial setting it took a large
part of my day - I had a 30 to 60 minute meeting every morning and spent
a further similar period updating, assigning, etc. The people who could
do it are just too damned busy. Given the amount that Tom gets done now
I'm amazed that he finds time to eat drink and sleep.

The things I tried to suggest earlier in this thread would be much less
burdensome.

As for central management ... the phrase "herding cats" springs to mind.

cheers

andrew