Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: andrew(at)supernews(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Views, views, views: Summary of Arguments
Date: 2005-05-13 21:42:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew - Supernews wrote:

>Most significantly, there is a lot of comment on what people _think_
>we could do (or not do), and no comment about what we actually _did_.
>I strongly suggest to anyone thinking of commenting on them that you
>actually install them and look at them first - while the project is as
>yet unfinished, and there is a lack of documentation and plenty of
>rough edges (and quite likely some bugs too), it does actually work and
>a number of people (some of whom have commented in this thread) have
>already found it useful. Grab a copy of it from pgfoundry's CVS, go into
>the sql/ directory and run ./build.sh yourdatabasename (as a superuser,
>you can add options like -U if needed - the options to build.sh are just
>passed on to psql).

I did look over them. Maybe I'd get the whole thing better if I had a
brief description of each view rather that having to infer the purpose
for myself from an sql statement of a list of fields. If you're
concerned to make a case I think that would be useful. If that's been
published and I missed it I apologise.

cheers

andrew