Re: PostgreSQL/Tomcat JNDI Datasource Questions

From: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
To: Warren Killian <warrenk19(at)comcast(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL/Tomcat JNDI Datasource Questions
Date: 2005-05-12 00:46:13
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Warren,

A JSP ends up being a servlet at some point. So I'd say that there
should still be a way to implement destroy inside a jsp page. ( I don't
believe in JSP, and this is just another reason )

Just thinking out loud you should be able to put a servlet into your
webapp that will just close the pool. All it would do is start on load,
and run destroy

Dave

Warren Killian wrote:

> Hi Dave,
>
> Good advice. But I'm afraid not using Servlets. My application is
> written entirely with JSP's in which I'm using the JSTL actions to
> perform all of the database operations. I've scanned all the
> information I can find on the "sql" JSTL and haven't found any action
> which would let me specifically close database connections. Have I
> missed something in my research? Thanks for the feedback.
>
> Warren Killian
> warrenk19(at)comcast(dot)net
>
> Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>> Warren,
>>
>> You need to implement destroy in your servlet and close the
>> connections when the servlet is destroyed.
>>
>> Dave
>>
>> Warren Killian wrote:
>>
>>> Hello group,
>>>
>>> I have several questions concerning configuring and using a JNDI
>>> DataSource
>>> with PostgreSQL and Apache Tomcat. Currently I have
>>> successfully configured a "basic" DataSource. Currently, my
>>> configuration
>>> which resides in a context.xml file is as follows:
>>>
>>> <Context className="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext"
>>> backgroundProcessorDelay="-1"
>>> cachingAllowed="true"
>>>
>>> charsetMapperClass="org.apache.catalina.util.CharsetMapper"
>>>
>>> configFile="/usr/local/jwsdp-1.3/conf/Catalina/localhost/test.xml"
>>> cookies="true"
>>> crossContext="false"
>>> debug="0"
>>> displayName="test"
>>> docBase="/usr/local/jwsdp-1.3/webapps/test"
>>> domain="Catalina"
>>> engineName="Catalina"
>>> j2EEApplication="none"
>>> j2EEServer="none"