Re: bytea encoding

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Jesse Eichar <jeichar(at)refractions(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: bytea encoding
Date: 2005-05-11 21:53:00
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Jesse Eichar wrote:

> 1. Is the byte stream (or byte array) converted to bytea on the database
> side or on client before sending? (My client is using the
> postgresql-74.213.jar).

You give the driver a byte[] (setBytes) or InputStream
(setBinaryStream); it does the rest. Old drivers such as build 213 will,
IIRC, convert this to a text representation internally before sending to
the backend; newer drivers will send the data directly without
conversion. But this is all transparent to the client.

-O