Re: [PERFORM] "Hash index" vs. "b-tree index" (PostgreSQL

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>
Cc: Christopher Petrilli <petrilli(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ying Lu <ying_lu(at)cs(dot)concordia(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] "Hash index" vs. "b-tree index" (PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-05-10 00:14:11
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>> No, hash joins and hash indexes are unrelated.
> I know they are now, but does that have to be the case?

I mean, the algorithms are fundamentally unrelated. They share a bit of
code such as the hash functions themselves, but they are really solving
two different problems (disk based indexing with (hopefully) good
concurrency and WAL logging vs. in-memory joins via hashing with spill
to disk if needed).

> Like I said, I don't know the history, so I don't know why we even
> have them to begin with.

As I said, the idea of using hash indexes for better performance on
equality scans is perfectly valid, it is just the implementation that
needs work.

-Neil