Re: [PERFORM] "Hash index" vs. "b-tree index" (PostgreSQL

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Christopher Petrilli <petrilli(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ying Lu <ying_lu(at)cs(dot)concordia(dot)ca>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] "Hash index" vs. "b-tree index" (PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-05-09 15:34:57
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-performance

Christopher Petrilli wrote:
> This being the case, is there ever ANY reason for someone to use it?

Well, someone might fix it up at some point in the future. I don't think
there's anything fundamentally wrong with hash indexes, it is just that
the current implementation is a bit lacking.

> If not, then shouldn't we consider deprecating it and eventually
> removing it.

I would personally consider the code to be deprecated already.

I don't think there is much to be gained b removing it: the code is
pretty isolated from the rest of the tree, and (IMHO) not a significant
maintenance burden.

-Neil