Re: pl/pgsql enabled by default

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pl/pgsql enabled by default
Date: 2005-05-06 16:13:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>Another problem with this proposal is that installations without
>shared-library support will stop working entirely.

How do we manage to run regression tests for such installations?

I guess the philosphical question is "do we make the default the most
common case and provide exceptions from it up and down, or do we make it
the most widely supportable and hence minimal case?" I can see both
sides. I do wish we put the handlers somewhere other than the public
schema, though.

cheers

andrew