Upgrade to pg and driver version 8.x code compatibilities

From: Tom Arthurs <tarthurs(at)jobflash(dot)com>
To: "[pgsql-jdbc]" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Upgrade to pg and driver version 8.x code compatibilities
Date: 2005-05-05 09:57:37
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

We've upraged out development and qa servers to postgresql 8. When using our java application, we get errors at various points in the code
similar to the following:

Unable to create new submission. org(dot)apache(dot)commons(dot)dbcp(dot)DelegatingPreparedStatement(at)180b22ejava(dot)sql(dot)SQLException:
ERROR: column "job_experience" is of type smallint but expression is of type character varying

If I downgrade the driver to the 7.4.x version the error goes away and we can run the application.

I realize this is probably pointing to bad coding practices, which will be fixed, I believe, as our developers work on the code, but we want to
avoid an all out push to get the code all fixed (similar problems exist in a *lot* of places in the code). We'd like to procede with
upgrading to 8.x server -- Two questions arise

1. What changed between the driver versions that generate this error?

2. What is the downside of continuing to use the 7.x version of the driver -- or are there better alternatives (patch, new version, etc). I
am using build 311 of the driver.