Re: Postgres vs Firebird?

From: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres vs Firebird?
Date: 2005-05-04 21:23:16
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,
We have a big project here that we originaly did in Firebird 1.0, it worked well, though was missing tons
of features like built in functions, temp tables etc etc. We then updated to Firebird 1.5 and again it worked good.
We always had issues with the stupid Firbird OAT (oldest active transaction), if the OAT gets stuck your database will start
to get huge as transaction data is stored in the database file itself. Firebird does not have the concept of
a tranasction log (at lease a seperate one)
The only way to compact a Firebird DB is to do a backup and restore, and we had lots of issues with this when the OAT
got stuck. You have to constantly monitor the OAT and the OIT (oldest interesting transaction)
Anyway soon after our update to FB 1.5 I started playing around with Postgres 7.2 or 7.3 and man was I impressed.
I could do temp tables had tons of built in functions, there was no weird SQL dialects(firebird has 3 SQL dialects)
I could just use any SQL i wanted from functions(firebird has several types of SQL PSQL,DSQL etc and you can't use one from
the other.
Firebird does not have a freely available replication system or a GUI admin tool(there are third party ones available)

I can tell you from experience Postgresql 8.x is WAY BETTER than Firebird.

--
Tony Caduto
AM Software Design