Re: Postgres vs Firebird?

From: Peter Wilson <peter(dot)j(dot)wilson(at)ntlworld(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres vs Firebird?
Date: 2005-05-04 20:40:29
Lists: pgsql-general

Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Benjamin Smith wrote:
>
>> As a long-time user of Postgres, (First started using it at 7.0) I'm
>> reading recently that Firebird has been taking off as a database.
>> Perhaps this is not the best place to ask this, but is there any
>> compelling advantage to using Firebird over Postgres?
>
> Firebird is a nice database but I don't think it can scale as well as
> PostgreSQL. IIRC they just added support for SMP. Also, although their
> community is very active I do not believe it is as large nor does it
> have the commercial backing like PostgreSQL.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
> Command Prompt, Inc.

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Haven't used it, but your question sparked a little interest so I spent
some time trawling through their web-site.

Like many open-source projects, documentation seems to be lagging a
*very* long way behind the code. One of the things that has really
impressed me with Postgres is the quality and thoroughness of the
documentation. As a developer I need API documentation, not just a quick
start guide and list of errors. I tend to avoid projects that don't
bother with the documentation (I gave up on Slony-I very quickly for
exactly the same reason!)

Pete
--
http://www.whitebeam.org