Re: batch inserts are "slow"

From: Steve Wampler <swampler(at)noao(dot)edu>
To: tim(at)se(dot)linux(dot)org
Cc: Christopher Petrilli <petrilli(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: batch inserts are "slow"
Date: 2005-05-03 18:29:54
Lists: pgsql-performance

Tim Terlegård wrote:

>>Just as on Oracle you would use SQL*Loader for this application, you
>>should use the COPY syntax for PostgreSQL. You will find it a lot
>>faster. I have used it by building the input files and executing
>>'psql' with a COPY command, and also by using it with a subprocess,
>>both are quite effective.
>

> I tried this now. Now it's down to 0.45 seconds. It feels a bit hacky to
> run /usr/bin/psql from java, but it sure works. Thanks for the hint!

There was a patch against 7.4 that provided direct JDBC access to
PostgreSQL's COPY. (I have it installed here and *love* it - it
gives outstanding performance.) However, it hasn't made into an
official release yet. I don't know why, perhaps there's
a problem yet to be solved with it ('works for me', though)?

Is this still on the board? I won't upgrade past 7.4 without it.

--
Steve Wampler -- swampler(at)noao(dot)edu