Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, adnandursun(at)asrinbilisim(dot)com(dot)tr, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature freeze date for 8.1
Date: 2005-05-02 08:49:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Neil Conway wrote:
>
>>The specific scenario this feature is intended to resolve is
>>idle-in-transaction backends holding on to resources while the
>>network connection times out;
>

> I was under the impression that the specific scenario is
> busy-in-transaction backends continuing to produce and send data while
> the client has disappeared. Why does the backend ignore network errors
> and keep sending data?

The scenario I need to deal with is this:

There are multiple nodes, network-separated, participating in a cluster.
One node is selected to talk to a particular postgresql instance (call
this node A).

A starts a transaction and grabs some locks in the course of that
transaction. Then A falls off the network before committing because of a
hardware or network failure. A's connection might be completely idle
when this happens.

The cluster liveness machinery notices that A is dead and selects a new
node to talk to postgresql (call this node B). B resumes the work that A
was doing prior to failure.

B has to wait for any locks held by A to be released before it can make
any progress.

Without some sort of tunable timeout, it could take a very long time (2+
hours by default on Linux) before A's connection finally times out and
releases the locks.

-O