Re: 'prepare' is not quite schema-safe

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Vlad <marchenko(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, dbdpg-general(at)gborg(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 'prepare' is not quite schema-safe
Date: 2005-05-02 04:30:56
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom Lane wrote:
> That's what it is supposed to do. It would hardly be possible to
> "prepare" a query at all if we had to wait till EXECUTE to find out
> which tables it was supposed to use.

An alternative would be to flush dependent plans when the schema search
path is changed. In effect this would mean flushing *all* prepared plans
whenever the search path changes: we could perhaps keep plans that only
contain explicit namespace references, but that seems fragile.

Flushing all plans might well be a cure that is worth than the disease,
at least for a lot of users.

-Neil