Re: 1.2.0 status vs wx2.6 instead of wx2.5 ?

From: Raphaël Enrici <blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr>
To: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
Subject: Re: 1.2.0 status vs wx2.6 instead of wx2.5 ?
Date: 2005-05-01 08:05:43
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Florian G. Pflug wrote:
> blacknoz(at)club-internet(dot)fr wrote:
>
>>wx2.5 is about to be removed from Debian official archive due
>>to bugs. It will leave pgadmin3 package in a broken state and
>>which would lead to a removal of it too. A transition is on
>>the way, Ron explained to me that he would surely upload
>>rapidly for wx2.6. I'd like to know if 1.2.0 would compile or
>>not and/or if it would be hard to get it build on top of
>>wx2.6 instead of 2.5...
>>If not, what is the roadmap, if there is one, to a next stable
>>release of pga3 based on top of wx2.6 ?
>>
>>All of these questions to help me to take the good decision
>>concerning pgAdmin III in official Debian.
>
> Hi

Hi Florian,

> Couldn't you link pgadmin3 statically against wx2.5?

IMHO, that's definitely not the good solution. This was done sometime
ago as a workaround to make pga3 (1.0.2) enter Debian but in the same
time we went to the conclusion that this was not suitable for a release
in Sarge. Static linking is ok if we absolutely want pga3 to be in
official Debian for some good or bad reason. The fact is that:
a) I won't try to make pga3 enter Sarge with the static link workaround
as it may be source of problem(s) (security updates, problems due to
wx,...). BTW, I'm quite sure this is too late for Sarge, so let's forget
about it.
b) static linking was really mandatory in the past because of patches
which were not included in the main branch of wx, this is not the case
anymore
c) we are all slightly moving to wx2.6 which seems to be the real good
solution and I'd like to concentrate efforts in this direction

> The current debian-packages work well (at least
> for me), and who knows what bugs (be it pgadmin3-bugs
> or wx-bugs) are revealed by switching wx versions...

(nice to know they work well:-))
Effectively we don't know the bugs which could occur by switching to
wx2.6, however we are aware of those due to current wx2.5:
- wx2.5 as is does not build on PPC (can't find anymore that bug number...:(
- I have at least one bug opened due to wx or something else wx
underlies on (see bugs #278644 and maybe #278855 at bugs.debian.org)

I really think we should wait until our preferred software is relying on
wx2.6.
@Andreas,Dave: I've just parsed the svn repository based on what Dave
sent somedays ago and I saw that pga3 "1.2.2 compiles with wx2.6"... Any
plan for a release?

Florian, thank you for your suggestions. If you think to something else,
I'm really opened to hearing from you.

Regards,
Raphaël