Re: ALTER COLUMN/logical column position

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ALTER COLUMN/logical column position
Date: 2003-11-20 15:26:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee> writes:
> You are just shifting the interface problems to a place needing way more
> changes in the backend. There will be some problems either way.

Exactly. I'm considerably more worried about breaking out-of-the-way
places in the backend than I am about what order someone's admin tool
presents the columns in.

> Btw, most of these concerns (and more) were already iterated when DROP
> column was done causing gaps in attnum. There were a lot of doomsday
> profecies, but in the end it went quite smoothly.

That is a good comparison point. I'm inclined to think that we should
do it in a way that minimizes backend changes. The way to do that is
to keep attnum with its current definition (physical position) and add
a new column for the logical position, which only a small number of
places will need to care about.