Re: Postgresql and VBA vs Python

From: Tony Caduto <tony_caduto(at)amsoftwaredesign(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql and VBA vs Python
Date: 2005-04-28 22:43:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Like I said before get the personal/standard version of Delphi 6,7 or
2005, it's 99.99 and you can connect to postgres with it using third
party component sets like Zeos. (2005 may not be available yet)

The licence varies on the version, I think Delphi 6 personal allows for
commercial developement if you buy the shrink wrapped version, the
others may only allow non commercial development.

There is another option you may not be aware of:
http://www.icsharpcode.com/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx

Totally free and rivals Visual Studio.net and has a visual form
developer. Check it out. You can use it with the Npgsql native .net
data provider for Postgresql. Not as easy to develop DB apps as Delphi,
but a better choice than Access.

You can create a databound form in Delphi just as easily as access and
you don't need to learn VBA or Python, just Pascal.
Delphi is Pascal (object pascal to be exact) and is easy to learn and
intuitive. It was taught at most high schools/universities before Java
came around

As far as the testing goes I am just try to get across the fact that the
type of testing you are doing is kind of a waste of time on a
client/server type system. Like I said before it's fine for Access or
Dbase.
Bringing huge results sets (250,000) can bring Oracle to it's knees if
the conditions are right.

Access is probably doing some kind of internal paging, it's not really
bringing back 250,000 rows. Rekal on the other hand probably attempts
to bring back all them and that's why it hangs. It can take a huge
amount of time to bring back that many records across the wire,
especially if you are on simple home network that is probably running at
10mbits per second in half duplex mode. Using a massive amount of rows
to test your dev tools is flawed because of the fact one may be doing
paging and the other is not.