Re: Declarative partitioning - another take

From: Dmitry Ivanov <d(dot)ivanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning - another take
Date: 2016-12-08 16:13:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi everyone,

> Of course, this is the beginning, not the end. I've been thinking
> about next steps -- here's an expanded list:

> - more efficient plan-time partition pruning (constraint
> exclusion is too slow)
> - run-time partition pruning
> - try to reduce lock levels

We (PostgresPro) have been working on pg_pathman for quite a while, and
since it's obviously going to become the thing of the past, it would be a
wasted effort if we didn't try to participate.

For starters, I'd love to work on both plan-time & run-time partition
pruning. I created a custom node for run-time partition elimination, so I
think I'm capable of developing something similar.

--
Dmitry Ivanov
Russian Postgres Company