Re: Final decision

From: John A Meinel <john(at)arbash-meinel(dot)com>
To: Joel Fradkin <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Final decision
Date: 2005-04-27 19:43:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

Joel Fradkin wrote:

> I am guessing our app is like 75% data entry and 25% reporting, but the
> reporting is taking the toll SQL wise.
>
> This was from my insert test with 15 users.
> Test type: Dynamic
> Simultaneous browser connections: 15
> Warm up time (secs): 0
> Test duration: 00:00:03:13
> Test iterations: 200
> Detailed test results generated: Yes
> Response Codes
>
> Response Code: 403 - The server understood the request, but is refusing to
> fulfill it.
> Count: 15
> Percent (%): 0.29
>

> Response Code: 302 - The requested resource resides temporarily under a
> different URI (Uniform Resource Identifier).
> Count: 200
> Percent (%): 3.85
>

> Response Code: 200 - The request completed successfully.
> Count: 4,980
> Percent (%): 95.86
>
> My select test with 25 users had this
> Properties
>
> Test type: Dynamic
> Simultaneous browser connections: 25
> Warm up time (secs): 0
> Test duration: 00:00:06:05
> Test iterations: 200
> Detailed test results generated: Yes
>
> Summary
>
> Total number of requests: 187
> Total number of connections: 200
>
> Average requests per second: 0.51
> Average time to first byte (msecs): 30,707.42
> Average time to last byte (msecs): 30,707.42
> Average time to last byte per iteration (msecs): 28,711.44
>
> Number of unique requests made in test: 1
> Number of unique response codes: 1

Well, having a bandwidth of 392Bps seems *really* low. I mean that is a
very old modem speed (3200 baud).

I'm wondering if you are doing a lot of aggregating in the web server,
and if you couldn't move some of that into the database by using plpgsql
functions.

That would take some of the load off of your IIS servers, and possibly
improve your overall bandwidth.

But I do agree, it looks like the select side is where you are hurting.
If I understand the numbers correctly, you can do 5k inserts in 3min,
but are struggling to do 200 selects in 6min.

John
=:->