Re: BLOB's bypassing the OS Filesystem for better Image

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: apoc9009(at)yahoo(dot)de
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BLOB's bypassing the OS Filesystem for better Image
Date: 2005-04-26 09:05:32
Lists: pgsql-performance

apoc9009(at)yahoo(dot)de wrote:
> Hi all again,
>
> My next queststion is dedicated to blobs in my Webapplication (using
> Tomcat 5 and JDBC
> integrated a the J2EE Appserver JBoss).
>
> Filesystems with many Filesystem Objects can slow down the Performance
> at opening
> and reading Data.

Which filesystems? I know ext2 used to have issues with many-thousands
of files in one directory, but that was a directory scanning issue
rather than file reading.

> My Question:
> Can i speedup my Webapplication if i store my JPEG Images with small
> sizes inside my PostgreSQL Database (on verry large Databasis over 1 GByte
> and above without Images at this time!)

No. Otherwise the filesystem people would build their filesystems on top
of PostgreSQL not the other way around. Of course, if you want image
updates to be part of a database transaction, then it might be worth
storing them in the database.

> I hope some Peoples can give me a Tip or Hint where in can
> some usefull Information about it!

Look into having a separate server (process or actual hardware) to
handle requests for static text and images. Keep the Java server for
actually processing data.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd