Re: FW: Can't find postgres.h or fmgr.h

From: John A Meinel <john(at)arbash-meinel(dot)com>
To: mark(at)maxpreps(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FW: Can't find postgres.h or fmgr.h
Date: 2005-04-21 17:20:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Mark Miller wrote:

>I found a thread here
>http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers-win32/2005-03/msg00149.php
>which indicates that the headers aren't even installed in the windows build.
>How can I install the headers so I can use them. I'm not finding anything in
>the docs.
>
>By the way, I am on WinXP using Microsoft Visual C++. We are a microsoft
>shop and I am researching migrating from Sql Server to postgresSql, but I
>need to add some functionality to support features we need in order for the
>migration to work.
>
>Regards,
>Mark

Well, you need to get the source distribution. One key point to make
sure that your environment is corret to develop backend functions is
that you are able to compile the postgres source.

I believe Visual C++ is not supported for compiling back-end programs.
Clients, etc are fine, but the backend is only supported on MinGW.

What is the specific functionality that you need that cannot be done in
a regular function? In say plpgsql, or pl/perl or pl/python?
Those are probably easier to maintain in the long run.

John
=:->